24 August 2009

Homemade Egg Rolls

My Aunt Mariko, who is Japanese, taught my mom how to make these and they've always been a family favorite. I've made them for E and he loves them as well. Although I do not cook them the same way my mom does, I think they're just as good, if not better.


Preheat oven to 425

Ingredients:

♥ one package of eggroll wrappers

(although mine were labeled large square wraps, same thing. you can find them in the produce section, usually with the asian/ vegan foods)

♥ 1 1/4 lb turkey burger

(or 1 lb. hamburger-- I can't tell the difference between hamburger and turkey burger. I've also thought about using a lb of turkey sausage for a little extra flavor)

♥ one bag coleslaw mix (140z bag)

♥ one medium-sized onion, chopped

♥ 1/4 to 1/3 c. soy sauce

♥ pepper

♥ one egg white

♥ cooking spray

In a large skillet, brown turkey burger. Add in onion and about half of the soy sauce. When the meat is cooked, add the bag of coleslaw mix. Add the remaining soy sauce, a few dashed of pepper, and cook until the cabbage and carrots (if the coleslaw mix you use has carrots in it) are tender.
Put about two to three spoonfuls of the mixture onto a wrapper as shown, then fold up the bottom corner.

Then fold up the two side corners so it looks like an envelope.

For the last part, brush egg whites onto the remaining flap (it "glues" the wrapper shut), and fold the last corner down. I actually will put the egg white on and then roll the egg roll up onto the last corner, as to make sure the roll is wrapped up tightly. You want to make sure to wrap these bad boys up tightly so that you don't see any of the mixture sticking out.

Place the egg rolls on a cookie sheet, there will be about 20 of them so I have to use my largest cookie sheet. Spray them cooking spray-- it'll make them nice and crispy.

Bake at 425 for about 12 to 15 minutes. You'll have to eyeball the time the first time you make them. Since the inside is already cooked, you just need to cook them until the wrapper is golden brown and crispy looking.


Enjoy!

I eat mine with salsa, but E loves his with soy sauce.

{you can experiment will fillings as well. My dad will put hamburger and onion seasoned with worchestershire in his, while my mom just uses cole slaw mix sprinkled with pepper in hers. You can also fry these in shortening until they're brown and crispy, but I like my healthier, baked option}

bon appetit, from the lady who thinks that she's Julia Child. :o)


1 comment: